Listen to Falling Into Reverie


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 15, 2009

My English Adventure Is Waning

I have 13 days left of my English adventure. Today Alyssa, Danielle, Yarran (another Aussie), and I had dinner with Marisa to wish her off. She is leaving tomorrow morning to go back home. It has started. The goodbyes were strange. It was like I was wishing her a lovely vacation; don't worry I'll see you soon. But the thing is, I won't be. There is no guarantee in this world that I'll even see her again in my life. That's how it is with everyone that I've met here.

I've been thinking about it and I suppose it's like everything else in this world: you have to work at it to get anything worth while in return. Only I can "guarantee" if I will see these girls ever again. I was serious when I talked about visiting Alyssa in Australia next July. That would be a kick ass grad gift to myself. I'm serious when I say I'd like to go to Canada to see Marisa. I'm serious when I say I'm saving money to spend spring break in Florida with Danielle.

We all don't want to leave, not because England is so superior to our actual homes but because that means that we'll be leaving each other. How do you walk away from a good friend? These last few days have been and will continue to be bittersweet. We are all conscious and excited about going home but at the same time it's something that we talk about in an abstract way. There are moments when we stop and express how much we'll miss each other but mostly I think we're all trying to pretend that we don't live so far from one another and that there isn't a large amount of uncertainty hanging over the idea of seeing each other again.

No comments: