Listen to Falling Into Reverie


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Has It Really Been a Month?

Holy monkeys it's February.

With that said, I've got to say this: bloody Americans and their need to change things! I just found out that the first Harry Potter was originally called (and is still called in every place BUT America) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Yes, I watched the first Harry Potter and yes, I was completely aghast when Hermione talked about the "Philosopher's stone" instead of the Sorcerer's stone. That means that they had to refilm the bits where the name of the stone is actually mentioned because the American title is different. It couldn't have been redubbed because certainly we would have noticed the lips not matching up with the words. Can you imagine how costly the reshooting must have been? I'm mildly outraged and embarrassed that America has to have things done in a different way. For example, we've got Fahrenheit instead of Celsius, gallons instead of liters; words are missing their u's and have z's instead of s's. I mean honestly.

On a more personal note, 9 am suddenly feels like the crack of dawn to me. All of a sudden it's hard to be clean and ready for a lecture at 10, never mind actually being clean/ready for one at 9. I don't know what the deal is. I've had 8 am classes everyday for a full semester before and that wasn't a big deal. I barely missed a class and it only became really hard in the winter when the heat in my room was a joke and getting out of my blankets meant losing all the heat I'd stored while sleeping. Now I'm waking up at 8:45 cursing myself while scrambling to swipe my toothbrush over my teeth once while throwing my (crazed) hair into a pony tail before pulling on the nearest pair of pants and shoes. Some days I only have time to grab a stick of gum (read: no teeth brushing!) and pull on a (mostly) dirty hoodie. Either way, the differences are strange.

I can't believe it's already been a month since I've been here. What's even crazier is that there is only two months before Dave (read: my amazing brother) comes out to see me and we embark on a fantastic trip to Italy. Crazy. Still crazier than that is I have recently found out that my roommate Becca (who is doing a summer course in Italy) will be here the same time I am. Seriously. It seems like a wonderful opportunity to visit her while she's studying and vice versa. Very exciting times.

Sorry it's been ages since I've posted anything. Most days I'm preoccupied with thinking about doing my homework but not actually accomplishing much. That's got to change though because things are going to pick up soon. It'll be week 10 before I know it and my essay will be due. Bleh. But you all should know that I'm doing well and I'm branching out in my cooking ability. It has (always) been easiest to buy/make pasta because it's cheap and delicious. Well, I'm eating more fruits and vegetables and I've taken to making myself chicken stir fry, which is something I've never made at the 305 (read: my apartment in Columbia).

But yes, I hope you all enjoyed the Liverpool video. I'm off to bed because it's nearly 2 am and I'm supposed to be up at a (semi) decent hour to help make/help eat pancakes.

*EDIT*
It has come to my attention that I've made a glaring mistake. I live with 9 first year Brits (5 boys and 4 girls). I forgot about one girl because I never really see her. She's always with her boyfriend. She's lovely though and her and her boyfriend usually cook together which is both cute and sickening, but mostly cute. She even gave me some of her juice when a bunch of drunks stole mine (now that is a long story to be told at another time). I just realized it because I was looking back over my posts (by the way, I'm talking about the post "A Meditation on Culture" when I describe my living situation).

No comments: